Inspired by artists like Nicholas Jones I recently caught up with book sculptures. Transforming old, never read again books to every day recognised eye catchers thereby is far more than a recreation act. Flipping through a book, that wont be read anymore, next to recognising book structues, is a somehow special moment. But then the restructuring starts. By transforming page by page the book slitely becomes an sculpture. The meaning of letters is immolated for the composition of pages.
However the work requires some notable steps:
- Buy a old used book that has a artificial inlet and a robust binding (you will highly challenge this)
- Start flipping through (not essential but fun)
- Cut out all thicker pages (like images) within the book, as acurate as possible
- Mark the folding edges on the pages outside with a pencil
- Start folding (depending on the sculpture e.g. ) 10 pages
- It may be necessary that you cut out some hidden corners of all pages to enable a complete folding then just use a cutter knife in combination with a wooden pad.
If you are gooing to attach the resulting sculpture to a wall you may insert a flat magnet within the spine of it and a screw hanger from the outside.
I recently bought further books so stay tuned. Soon there will be more books.